The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.
– Jim Trelease, Author of The Read-Aloud Handbook
About Bring Me A Book St. Louis
Bring Me A Book St. Louis is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Missouri corporation committed to eliminating the literacy gap through selecting & procuring new hardback children’s literature for under-resourced children to read aloud at home and school. We are an independent affiliate of Bring Me A Book Foundation founded in 1997 in Silicon Valley, California. The other independent affiliates are located in Franklin County Florida and Hong Kong. Bring Me A Book St. Louis is continually striving to build an organization that is unique to the metropolitan area and utilizes the best practices in early childhood education that we have been perfecting since 1997. We have developed three early childhood literacy programs for children ages pre-kindergarten through first grade designed to prepare them for reading success: Classroom Libraries; Take Home Books; and First Teacher Parent Workshops.
- Bring Me A Book St. Louis is committed to eliminating the literacy gap through selecting and procuring high-quality hardback children’s literature for under-resourced children to read aloud at home and school.
- We work with partner schools and early-childhood organizations to reach children in pre-kindergarten through first grade in need of new hardback books.
- We take pride in giving students access to renowned classic children’s literature and newer titles that are carefully selected for esteemed literary merit by well-known book reviewers such as Kirkus, Library Journal and Novelist.
Many of the children’s books we choose have received the Newberry, Caldecott, Geisel and Corretta Scott King book awards.
- When parents, caregivers and teachers understand the lasting benefits and value of reading to children and have quality literature in home and at school, children are better prepared to succeed in school and in life.
- Reading aloud to children leads to school readiness and future success in school and beyond.
- Our goal is to foster a love of reading by allowing students from under-resourced schools the opportunity to revisit their favorite books over and over again, day after day.
- Our programming supports our read aloud mission for students and families that are the most in need of great books.
- We bring the power of books and the joy of reading aloud into the lives of young children.
- We encourage families to make the investment of time and energy to read aloud to their children every day.
Subscribe for Updates
Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.